

Like a bout of herpes, Valentine’s Day has flared up yet again. This year Mother Nature gave me the greatest Valentine’s Day gift: a day off work. In a way. A smallish ice-sleet-snow storm gave my office a two-hour delay (and thus two extra gorgeous hours of sleep for me), and then I, along with many of my coworkers, opted to work from home today rather than deal with the gridlock and everything else that comes with slushy, slick roads. So, while I’m still working today, at least I’m working from home, which means working in comfy sweats with cats by my side. That counts for something.
You may have guessed that I’m not a big fan of Valentine’s Day. You know, I almost hate to admit this, because it just makes me look like a bitter, frosty-hearted shrew (which I can be, but that’s beside the point). People automatically think that I don’t like V Day because I’m resentful that I’m single, and blah blah blah sour grapes. But no matter what anybody thinks, that’s not the truth. It was, once. I was bitter each Valentine’s Day because I was alone and didn’t want to see other people being all lovey-dovey-gooey and showering each other with cutesy hearts and flowers.
Not anymore. These days I like being single, and that doesn’t go away just because it’s Valentine’s Day. What I dislike is the excessive commercialization of the holiday; the rote, cookie-cutter sentiments it inspires; and the exclusionary competitiveness involved. It places so much pressure on people; if the day proves to be anything less than a fairy tale, the disappointment is tangible. At college people flaunted the flowers and gifts they received, and those of us who received nothing felt like the gum wedged between the treads of a shoe. In adulthood it’s not much different—some folks coyly make a big show of receiving flowers and I Wuv You balloons at the office.
It makes me cringe seeing so many people buy bland, mundane, overpriced merchandise just because they feel like they have to. Obligation is not romantic! I would like to see more people think beyond the Hallmark cards, roses, heart-shaped supermarket boxes of waxy chocolates, cutesy-wutesy teddy bears, and diamond jewelry. There’s just such a lack of originality there. I mean, some people love that stuff, and so that’s fine for them. But most people want something that means something on a personal level. So do something that is truly romantic and thoughtful and personalized. And don’t let a day on the calendar—or Hallmark—define the perimeters of when you show someone you love and appreciate him or her. True romance and thoughtfulness should be scattered throughout the year—not held hostage to February 14th.
It makes me cringe seeing so many people buy bland, mundane, overpriced merchandise just because they feel like they have to. Obligation is not romantic! I would like to see more people think beyond the Hallmark cards, roses, heart-shaped supermarket boxes of waxy chocolates, cutesy-wutesy teddy bears, and diamond jewelry. There’s just such a lack of originality there. I mean, some people love that stuff, and so that’s fine for them. But most people want something that means something on a personal level. So do something that is truly romantic and thoughtful and personalized. And don’t let a day on the calendar—or Hallmark—define the perimeters of when you show someone you love and appreciate him or her. True romance and thoughtfulness should be scattered throughout the year—not held hostage to February 14th.
Anyway, to show that I’m not completely curdled, I’m providing a list of some of my favorite love songs from over the years (favorite love poems are here; favorite love quotes are here). This list isn’t 100% thorough; it’s composed of beloved songs that are currently popping to mind. I’m sure plenty are missing!
There is a Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
Honey and the Moon – Joseph Arthur
Love You ’Till the End – Pogues
At Last – Etta James
Until – Sting
Fields of Gold – Sting (but I actually prefer the Eva Cassidy version)
The Way You Look Tonight – various artists (I like the Tony Bennett version best)
Cheek to Cheek – Irving Berlin (I like the Eva Cassidy version best)
All I Want is You – U2
All I Want is You – U2
Ch’ella mi creda – Giacomo Puccini
The Promise – Tracy Chapman
Grow Old with You – Adam Sandler
Sanctuary – Madonna
Case of You – Joni Mitchell
The Promise – Tracy Chapman
Grow Old with You – Adam Sandler
Sanctuary – Madonna
Case of You – Joni Mitchell
Such Great Heights – Iron & Wine
Walk the Line – Johnny Cash
Thank You – Led Zeppelin (but I prefer the Tori Amos version)
Here with Me – Dido
Possession – Sarah McLachlan
Walk the Line – Johnny Cash
Thank You – Led Zeppelin (but I prefer the Tori Amos version)
Here with Me – Dido
Possession – Sarah McLachlan
Dance Me to the End of Love – Leonard Cohen
Amie – Damien Rice
Crossroads – Don McLean
Songbird – Stevie Nicks (I prefer the Eva Cassidy version)
The Kiss – Trevor Jones (from the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack)
Beyond the Sea – various artists (I quite like the Robbie Williams version)
Endless Love – Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
Everlong (acoustic version) - Foo Fighters
Endless Love – Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
Everlong (acoustic version) - Foo Fighters
Make Me Happy – Kermit and Miss Piggy
I Need You – Leann Rimes
Wonderwall – Oasis (I love the Ryan Adams version, too)
Home to Me – Josh Kelley
I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen
Can’t Smile Without You– Barry Manilow
I Need You – Leann Rimes
Wonderwall – Oasis (I love the Ryan Adams version, too)
Home to Me – Josh Kelley
I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen
Can’t Smile Without You– Barry Manilow
Looks Like We Made It – Barry Manilow
Everything I Own – Bread
Through the Years – Kenny Rogers
You Decorated My Life – Kenny Rogers
Your Song – Elton John
Everything I Own – Bread
Through the Years – Kenny Rogers
You Decorated My Life – Kenny Rogers
Your Song – Elton John
Come to my Window – Melissa Etheridge
I Drove All Night – Cyndi Lauper
Blood of Me – Heather Nova
Winterblue – Heather Nova
I Drove All Night – Cyndi Lauper
Blood of Me – Heather Nova
Winterblue – Heather Nova
Like Lovers Do – Heather Nova
The Animals Were Gone – Damien Rice
Eve the Apple of My Eye – BellX1
Maps – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Mad About You – Hooverphonic
Out of the Woods – Nickle Creek
Close to You – The Carpenters
Just You and I – Eddie Rabbitt & Crystal Gayle
I Say a Little Prayer – various artists
The Animals Were Gone – Damien Rice
Eve the Apple of My Eye – BellX1
Maps – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Mad About You – Hooverphonic
Out of the Woods – Nickle Creek
Close to You – The Carpenters
Just You and I – Eddie Rabbitt & Crystal Gayle
I Say a Little Prayer – various artists
C’est lui que mon coeur à choisi – Edith Piaf
Delirious Love – Neil Diamond
Create Me – Neil Diamond
Secret World – Peter Gabriel
All I Ask of You – Andrew Lloyd Webber
You are the Everything – R.E.M.
Song for the Asking – Simon & Garfunkel
For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her – Simon & Garfunkel
I Am Stretched on Your Grave – Sinéad O’Connor
When We Dance – Sting
Why Should I Cry for You – Sting
The Same Deep Water as You – The Cure
Just Like Heaven – The Cure
Original of the Species – U2
Unchained Melody – Righteous Brothers
Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
Have I Told You Lately – Van Morrison
#1 Crush – Garbage (definitely more of an obsession song, but who cares!)
Constant Craving – kd lang
Kiss Me – Sixpence None the Richer
Don’t Know Much – Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville
Groovy Kind of Love – The Mindbenders
E lucevan le stelle… – Giacomo Puccini
At This Moment – Billy Vera & The Beaters
Always – Atlantic Starr
Faithfully – Journey
The Gift – Annie Lennox
Lovesong – The Cure
Delirious Love – Neil Diamond
Create Me – Neil Diamond
Secret World – Peter Gabriel
All I Ask of You – Andrew Lloyd Webber
You are the Everything – R.E.M.
Song for the Asking – Simon & Garfunkel
For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her – Simon & Garfunkel
I Am Stretched on Your Grave – Sinéad O’Connor
When We Dance – Sting
Why Should I Cry for You – Sting
The Same Deep Water as You – The Cure
Just Like Heaven – The Cure
Original of the Species – U2
Unchained Melody – Righteous Brothers
Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
Have I Told You Lately – Van Morrison
#1 Crush – Garbage (definitely more of an obsession song, but who cares!)
Constant Craving – kd lang
Kiss Me – Sixpence None the Richer
Don’t Know Much – Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville
Groovy Kind of Love – The Mindbenders
E lucevan le stelle… – Giacomo Puccini
At This Moment – Billy Vera & The Beaters
Always – Atlantic Starr
Faithfully – Journey
The Gift – Annie Lennox
Lovesong – The Cure

song heard most recently before posting:
Vidrar vel til loftarasa—Sigur Ros
Vidrar vel til loftarasa—Sigur Ros

1 comment:
Here are a couple more for your list of "Lurv songs" from the discs on my desk.
My Love is for real - Paula Abdul (the radio version, not the R&B mix)
Love is Blindness - U2
Don't let go (Love) - En Vogue
Love Is - Steve Nicks / Sarah McLachlan Fear - Sarah Mclachlan (album version)
Never my love - The Association
I will not take these things for granted - Toad the wet sprocket
Shape of my heart - Sting
Mad about you - Sting
Oh Daddy - Fleetwood Mac (I like the version that is on the Rumors Tribute Album, can't remember the chicks name)
The dark night of the soul - Loreena Mckennit
He doesn't see me - Sarah Brightman (so sad)
Beauty & the beast - Stevie Nicks
Love like winter - AFI
Tell me - Billie Myers
The list is pretty limited because most of my stuff is at home and I'm too tired to think of much more.
Post a Comment